Core strengthening is a topic quite in focus nowadays as most of the people have to spend a very busy lifestyle. But “core strengthening” is not associated with the idea of six-pack abs or such. Core strength is important for the everyday smooth functioning of the body as well as for injury prevention. It is equally important for a person who works at the office as well as a sportsperson. A person’s ability to stabilize their core is very important. Stability means an ability to control the position and free movement of the core. Thus a person who has greater core stability is much more fit. If you want to know more about how important core strength is and how to go about it then Health bound in Etobicoke has always got your back.
What is meant by the term “Core”?
Our core is a complex series of muscles, extending beyond our abs. The major muscles of the core reside in the area of the abdomen and mid and lower back. The components of the deep core consist of the four most important muscles that are key to our proper movement and fitness.
- The diaphragm
Proper breathing is essential as that would mean that every part of your body receives the proper and due amount of oxygen. This oxygen helps your other organs to function properly.
- The pelvic floor
The pelvic floor is a set of very important muscles in your body. It helps the voluntary opening and closing of your bladder and rectum and thus it is quite important to keep it in good condition.
- The Transverse Abdominis
This consists of a set of muscles that act as the stabilizer for your entire lower back muscles. They are the most important part of the lumbar spine even though they are not talked about so often.
- The Multifidus
These are extensible ligaments that help to stabilize the vertebral column. They too are quite important parts of the lumbar system.
The first step of core training involves the activation of these muscles. But at the same time, we cannot forget that the spine, lumbar, pelvis, along with their respective joints, are also equally important to maintain a healthy core.
What is the importance of core strength?
Core strength is equally important for desk workers, laborers, and sportspersons. As we have already discussed, core strengthening is an important component in the treatment of low back pain. It is medically proved that low back pain and injuries affect the functioning of key core muscles. Your spine is protected by the deep stabilizer muscles and is anticipatory and prepares your body for different types of movements. Proper coordination of these muscles improves your work efficiency. Health bound in Etobicoke can provide you with tips that will help you strengthen your core and make you understand how important it is as well.
How to train your core?
Now we are talking! We all know the importance of strengthening your core now and are even awestruck with the wonders that they can cause. But the most important question is yet to be dealt with. If you are looking for some easy exercises that are known to work well for strengthening your core, then no need to look any further as we have it all right here. Before you read on though, one thing that you must keep in mind is that even though these exercises are quite easy, the perfection with which you perform them is quite important. They may do more harm than good if the proper posture and steps are not maintained.
- Heel slides:
This is the first and the simplest exercise we are choosing. Here are the steps to go about it.
- Lie on the back in a way that your knees are bent.
- Keep your back in the neutral position. This involves you lying in a posture that is the middle of an entirely flat or entirely arched back.
- Exhale softly as you extend out one of your feet till it becomes straight.
- Retract it to the initial position and repeat the entire process. This time try with another leg.
- Dead bug:
Interesting name right? The name of the exercise refers to the posture that you must lie on while going about the exercise. Here are a few simple steps that you must follow. Read on.
- Start by lying on your back while placing both of your knees at an angle of a 90° with your hip, which in turn are at a right angle with the floor. Your knees are thus parallel to the floor.
- Stretch your hands upwards so that they make an angle of a 90° with the floor pointing in the direction of the ceiling.
- Inhale, bringing your belly button inward towards your body.
- Stretch one leg and start bringing it to the ground. With the opposite arm do the same thing by lowering it above your head.
- Stop the movement just before the leg touches the ground and bring them back to their initial positions.
- Repeat the entire process with the other pair of legs and arms.
- Bird dog:
Another one with an interesting name. How to go about it? Here is how.
- Lie down in a position so that your stomach is facing the floor and your back is in a neutral position.
- Keep your legs in such a position that your thighs are perpendicular to the floor while your calves lie on in a parallel fashion. Your hands must be perpendicular to the floor.
- Now stretch one of your legs out and the opposite arm out. Hold the position and then repeat with the other pair.
These simple exercises would not take you long to practice. But they will take you a long way fitness-wise. Health bound in Etobicoke has many more exercises that will help you stay fit regularly, thus helping you in the long run.